Meals on Wheels of Wilkes County provides a nutritionally-balanced lunch delivered Monday through Friday to homebound seniors 60 years of age or older. Meals provide a minimum of one-third of the daily Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) established by the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Science.
The program considers a variety of factors when determining eligibility, including being confined to the home due to reason of illness or incapacitating disability or illness or disability that makes meal preparation difficult.
Meals are provided to help maintain or improve health and enable seniors to remain in their own homes for as long as possible. Home delivered meals are delivered at no cost to the recipient, however voluntary contributions are accepted to offset the cost of providing this service and to extend services to other individuals. Services will not be terminated if the participant is unable to contribute.
Qualifying Meals on Wheels Recipients:
- Must be 60 years of age or older
- Physically or mentally unable to obtain food or prepare nutritious meals
- Have no responsible person who is able and willing to perform this needed service
- Unable to participate in the congregate nutrition program because of physical or mental impairment
- The spouse, caregiver, or disabled family member living in the home of an eligible older person may also be eligible to receive a meal
- To make referrals to Meals on Wheels please call 336-667-7174.
Meals are delivered by volunteers who are reimbursed for the use of their personal vehicle.
Volunteers provide a valuable service that goes beyond delivery of a meal. Volunteers are able to report health and wellness concerns which may prevent illness or injury and provide a measure of safety to the client and their loved ones.
Volunteers have the option of serving from 1 to 5 days per week. Meals are picked up at 9:30 am and most routes can be completed in 2 ˝ hours. Fill in drivers are also needed to learn all routes and be on call in the event that a regular driver has an illness or emergency.
For more information about becoming a Meals on Wheels volunteer please call 336-667-7174.